Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Tuesday Talks | First or Third Person?

If you want to get involved with the discussions visit the Tuesday Talks goodreads page to find out topics and follow everyone who participates! You don't have to have booktube or blog, you can participate right there on the group.

First or Third Person: Which Do You Prefer?
For me it's more about the story. Some stories work better with a certain perspective. While I do enjoy first person narratives (and am currently writing one), I think that they have been somewhat overdone recently, particularly in the YA category. Even with first person I tend to prefer novels that switch between different characters. 

What I really enjoy about a third person narrative is that it usually allows the story to have a broader scope. When you're dealing with first person you're confined to a single person's thoughts. With third person, even if you're still mostly following one character, there is some room for outside information. 

Overall I would probably say that I prefer third person, although I have enjoyed many novels that make use of both. 

What do you think, first or third person? Do you have a preference? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Definitely a good thing to have a mix. I actually like when there are sections of first and third person in the same novel. It can be really interesting.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete