Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Mistborn: The Hero of Ages Discussion #1

Hello everyone! It's time for another discussion about Brandon Sanderson's The Hero of Ages with Saloni from My Fantabulous Bookshelf. Be warned that there are spoilers for the previous two novels and minor spoilers for this one. Just go and catch up! This is a series that you definitely want to read. 

  1.  Do you think that Marsh will be able to defy Ruin’s control in any meaningful way?
    Courtney: I feel really sad for Marsh. I’ve always found his character fascinating and I feel so bad for him being stuck in this position. He wants to eventually defy Ruin and end his own life, but he can barely move a finger without calling the creatures attention. I think that he will definitely play a part somewhere along the way, the real Marsh, not Ruin, but I don’t know how exactly. I just hope that he’s able to act in some helpful way on his own impulses. 
    Saloni: I think that the interactions between Marsh and Ruin are really interesting. I do think that Marsh will be able to defy Ruin and I think it’ll actually be a major way to pull the plot forward. Rather than completely overpower Ruin but I think there will be small moments in between where Marsh will be able to over Ruin for a short period of time, allowing him to perhaps reveal important information.

  1. The Inquisitors are exhibiting new and frightening abilities, where do you think this stems from?
    Courtney: The Inquisitor that Vin and Elend fought in the beginning was fast, too fast, which worries Vin. I think it must have something to do with the extra spikes they’re placing in their bodies. And they kill people to do that. Including Keepers. I wonder if they’re somehow taking the power of the person being killed? Somehow they all become Mistborn, so it’s not too much of a stretch that they could gain more power. 
    Saloni: I agree with Courtney. It definitely has something to do with the extra spikes being put in their body, though how exactly the power gets transferred I’m not sure. Perhaps the Feruchemy in Keepers can transfer to Allomancy in the Mistborn Inquisitors somehow? I’m not sure how this would happen, but it’s just a theory.

  1. What do you think of the kandra society?
    Courtney: So far I’ve really enjoyed TenSoon’s sections. We’ve not really had a view of the kandra as a people before, only being exposed to a few of them, and I find their hidden society intriguing. The control being with the older kandra and the fact that you never see the Firsts...It will be interesting to find out what’s going on there. 
    Saloni: I’m really enjoying these sections. I wasn’t sure we were going to see more of TenSoon, but I’m so glad we are. I think that the kandra are an interesting society and the way they operate based on generation is a strange yet intriguing form of government. I’m excited to find out how they deal with TenSoon and his betrayal. Perhaps they might go after Vin, but I have really no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment