Friday, October 16, 2015

Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

I've seen this tag going around blogs and booktube for ages now and I've been wanting to do it, so here goes. The tag was created by The Book Archer on booktube.

Try not to get too upset if I really dislike your favorite books.

A Popular Book or series that you didn't like.
 There are many, but I'll just give you a couple.
A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love. 
This is a rather tough one for me, I wouldn't say these books are hated per se,but they do get a lot of hate in comparison to many other books and they are two of my favorites. 
A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with OR an OTP that you don't like. 
It's hard for me to pick because usually if there's a love triangle the character ends up with the person I like. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. 

A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for. 
This would probably have to be romance. Not that I don't ever read romance, but if it's steamy romance or verging on erotica, then I'm not going to read it. And most books that are labeled New Adult fall into this, so I tend to avoid those. I'm also not really into vampire or zombie books.

A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
Warner from the Shatter Me series. I tried to read the second book and could not get into it. And I just don't like Warner and what was done with his character. I don't particularly like Katniss from The Hunger Games or Tris from Divergent. There are just things about both of them that irritates me. While I do like certain things about them, overall they wouldn't be my favorite characters. 

A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 
Sarah J Maas. I tried to read Throne of Glass and could not do it. And everything I've seen since just solidifies my belief that I would hate it if I read it. And everything I've seen about her new series is the same way. Pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy her.
Also John Green kind of fits this category. I really like The Fault in Our Stars, but Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson were very disappointing. I don't think I will be picking up any more of his books. At least not any time soon. 
There are many more I could list, but I'll just stick with these two. 

A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing.
While I think that it's great to have strong female leads, I'm kind of getting tired of this focus (particularly in YA novels) where the lead has to be an independent woman who doesn't want need anyone else. Part of my problem with this might be that the character is then seen requiring a relationship in order to function, meaning that she's not really all that independent to begin with. I'm not sure. I just get kind of fed up with all of these heroines. 

A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
 The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
There are a few that I either prefer or like just as much. I'll give you a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment