Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Tuesday Talks | Those Hard to Pronounce Names

Tuesday Talks is a goodreads discussion group created by Janie and Janelle. You can visit the group and join the discussions here. Come and share your thoughts with all of us!

Hard to Pronounce Names
We've all read them. Those names of characters and places that either have weird spellings or are just made up. So, what to do about that odd name. 

Generally, if I can't find out how it's actually supposed to be pronounced, I just make up my own pronunciation. I know a lot of people will just skip over names they can't pronounce, but I like having something to call the person/place in my head. When I'm saying the name for a video or something, I'll sometimes use my pronunciation and spell it out so people will know who/what I'm talking about. 

Personally I actually enjoy these types of names. I love just creating something that's different, so I love reading about them as well. This probably has something to do with my favorite genre being fantasy, where this tends to be a regular occurrence. 

So what do you do when something is hard to pronounce? Do you skip it? Make up your own way of saying it? Or something else? Let me know in the comments!   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney! I used to make up my own pronunciations but since I started to get into audiobooks I usually consult that if I'm having a hard time. I love fantasy too and I like what you said about the names being new and different. Fun talk!

    ReplyDelete