Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A Christmas Carol~Charles Dickens | Review

Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens
Genre: Classic Literature/Christmas
Length: 224 Pages
Release: 1843

Review
A Christmas Carol is a beloved classic that many people read every December. It's the story of Ebenezer Scrooge meeting the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future and what changes he undergoes through these three encounters. 

I've read a few Dickens novels in the past (and want to read more in the future) and always really enjoy them. His writing is captivating and often beautiful. That is definitely true in this short Christmas tale. 

This was my first time reading this story and definitely will not be my last. It's divided into five staves (which was Dickens way of saying that it's a long carol, rather than a novel in the traditional sense). The first stave introduces Scrooge, the three middle staves are his encounters with the ghosts of Christmas, and the final stave shows you what Scrooge did with this information. 

Having finally read this I can completely understand why it's so loved. There is just something about the way the story is crafted that is captivating. And it makes you evaluate yourself. Everyone has struggles and we often find ourselves somewhere we don't really want to be, whether that be physically, emotionally, or mentally. This short book made me very reflective and I asked myself some difficult questions as a consequence. 

I highly recommend this beautiful little novel. It's one that I hope revisit in the years to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment