Saturday, September 5, 2015

Monthly Recommendations | Back to School Books

Monthly Recommendations is a goodreads group created by the booktubers Kayla Rayne and Trina(Between Chapters). Each month there is a new topic and you can pick any books that somehow fit that topic. No limit on number of books, so you can recommend as many or as few as you like! For the month of September, the topic is Back to School Books. I think most people are going with books set in/around schools and I'm going to stick with that theme. I was going to do books I enjoyed reading in school, but decided I'll do something else with that idea later. So here goes. 

Back to School Books
I recently reviewed this novel for the author and loved it! Saddie is an orphan with special abilities and lives among the other Caelian's at a special school. The school setting was one of the things that made this book so enjoyable. It just gave the characters this special connectedness that I don't think they would have had otherwise. 
 
This novel isn't specifically set in a school, but a lot of it takes place at school. The main character, Sam, is OCD and ends up finding her way into this group of misfit poets. I loved that part. So a lot of it was about the poetry group and Sam in school interacting with her new friends and her old friends. 

Another one that's not specifically set in a school. The main character has an abusive father and when a boy at her new school starts writing her notes on sticky notes, she begins to open up and start to trust him. It is one of the sweetest love stories I've read. A lot of this one is focused around school because that's where she's free from her father. 

This is probably one of my favorite reads of this year. Not set in a school, but Charlie is a student at a high school for gifted students in STEM subjects. He's a mathematician (thus the cover) and since I love math, I knew I would love this (hoped I would) and I did. It's sad but beautiful. A lot of it is focused around school as Charlie and his friends Greta and James try to drive away the new English teacher. 

Most of you who have read my blog posts probably know that I love Brandon Sanderson. He's a brilliant author. This is a YA novel set in an alternate US (with kind of a steampunk vibe) where Joel wants to be a Rithmatist (a mathematician who draws chalk figures and shapes to ward of evil Chalklings). It's set in a school where Joel is one of the non Rithmatic students, but is a Rithmatics expert. Sound weird? Yep, I thought so too. But it's so good!

While there are loads more books I'm sure I could recommend, I'm going to stick with these. You should all go and read them. Right now. Also, tell me in the comments what some of your favorite books that are set in/around a school are. I'd love to add some new books to my (semi controlled) TBR pile.



 

6 comments:

  1. I really want to read Every Last Word! The last book I read that was set in a school was Lying Out Loud (Kody Keplinger) and it was alright; I only gave it three stars and I'm currently reading Fangirl (Rainbow Rowell) which is set in a college and is good so far.


    TheDonkeyInvasion - A Bookish Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it! I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I haven't read Lying Out Loud (I've seen quite a bit about it) and I read part of Fangirl, but it just wasn't for me. I did like certain things about it though.

      Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
    2. I'll make sure to! Just to let you know, I've nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award if you want to do it! ;)

      TheDonkeyInvasion - A Bookish Blog!

      Delete
    3. Oh, thanks! I did that ages ago, but I would love to do it again! :D I think those types of things are a perfect way to get bloggers connected!

      Delete
  2. I've never read a Brandon Sanderson book. Sounds like I need to. That book sounds intriguing. It DOES sound weird so it's probably perfect for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's brilliant. And you really should try this one. I think you would enjoy it. It's very different.

      Delete