Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Dragon Reborn~Robert Jordan | Review

Title: The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time #3)
Author: Robert Jordan
Length: 699 Pages (Paperback)
Genre: High Fantasy
Release: 1991
My Rating: 3/5 Stars

Review
Where to start in this review...Well, first of all, there were some aspects of this novel that I preferred to the two previous installments in the series. Overall, though, this has been my least favorite of the three. 

So, for the things I liked more. It opens with Perrin, which was an immediate bonus. Of the Two Rivers group, Perrin is definitely my favorite. And Perrin remained one of the main perspectives throughout the book. Definitely a good thing. 

Another good thing is that there wasn't too much time spent with Rand. I know he's supposed to be the main character, but I really hope we never get too overloaded with him. I just don't like him as much as I like so many of the other characters. When we were with him it was nice to see how unstable he's becoming. It was a different touch to the story. 

There were some characters introduced, and old ones coming back, that I really appreciated. Faile was a nice addition to the story and I found myself enjoying her throughout. She still has some of the same tendencies as the other women characters that bug me, but it wasn't as overly done with her. Thom was also back for a portion of the book, which I enjoyed. I'm looking forward to where his character will go in the future. 

Egwene and Nynaeve were extremely annoying in this one and too much time was spent with them. I normally enjoy Nynaeve fairly well, but she was constantly tugging her braid and being tiresome. And Egwene, I really don't want to start on Egwene. She was very childish throughout the entire book and I just could not like her. Not sure that will ever change. 

Not a whole lot seemed to happen as far as the overall progression of the story. Some questions were answered, in some ways, but so much is still open. For a fourteen book series that makes sense, I'm just not sure this series warranted that many books. I hear that the fourth book is better, so I am looking forward to reading it. 

And you know something weird about this series, even though I haven't loved any of the books I feel compelled to immediately pick up the next installment. Weird. So I may be getting to it before April, we shall see. Overall this wasn't a terrible book, just not a lot happened. I did enjoy it and look forward to continuing the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment