Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Tuesday Talks | Interrupting Reading

Tuesday Talks is a weekly discussion hosted by Janie and Janelle. You can find the goodreads group here if you're interested in joining in on the discussions.

Is it rude to interrupt someone who is reading?
I think the severity of how rude the interruption is has to be based on more than one factor. There are different reasons you might interrupt someone. Some of them are definitely rude while others may not be so rude. It also depends on how you go about doing it. Being overly obnoxious about getting someone's attention while they are reading is definitely not cool. So here are some of my thoughts.

If you need to ask somebody a question or tell them something then interrupting is not necessarily rude. I personally like to pause at the end of a paragraph while I'm reading, so someone not waiting for me to finish that paragraph can be extremely annoying. If they actually need to tell me something and wait for me to pause once they've gotten my attention then it's not a big deal. I can easily start back where I just left off once they've communicated their information. 

Interrupting someone just to interrupt them or to get their attention on something else is just rude. It's not ok to force someone out of their reading and into an activity that is more appealing to you at the time. I hate when people do that to me. Asking if I want to go and do something with them after I finish a certain section of my reading is one thing, just pulling my attention away however, is definitely not ok. 

If you interrupt someone to discuss the book they are reading this can go either way. Just letting them know you enjoyed the book is fine, I think. Stopping their reading to start a long discussion is not cool though. Let them read!

So basically what I'm saying is that there are sometimes reasons for interrupting someone's reading that are ok. The way in which you get the person's attention is a big factor. If you are polite about interrupting them and actually have something to say, then it's generally not a big deal. At least for me as a reader. Being overly loud and attention grabbing just to get them to focus on you is not cool.

What do you think about interrupting someone's reading? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Honestly unless someone is dying or seriously injured, i don't want to be bothered while I'm reading. These days I rarely get the chance to sit down and read so when I do, I don't want to be disturbed by petty things haha. Great post!

    ~Saloni @ myfantabulousbookshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. I know how you feel. Particularly when I've just gotten to a really good part of a story. I've grown up with interruptions in everything because I have a huge family, so I've kind of gotten used it and can deal with it. It does frustrate me at times though.

      Delete