Friday, December 30, 2016

A Monster Calls~Patrick Ness | Review

Title: A Monster Calls
Author: Patrick Ness
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary/Fantasy
Length: 206 Pages (Hardcover)
Release: September 2011

Review
I am somewhat conflicted about this book. It's the type of book you need to read with little background knowledge. Otherwise the experience is spoiled for you. The story just wasn't as hard hitting as I had hoped. 

This is a well written story, with an interesting premise. I expected it to be a little scarier or unsettling than it was. For me personally there wasn't really an element of fear associated with the monster, even in the beginning. 

The novel touches on some very difficult subjects and overall I think they are handled in a very believable way. The ending was somewhat too abrupt for me. I would have liked a little more information about certain characters and how our main character Conor was learning to cope with his situation, instead we just got hints of what could happen. 

What disappointed me most about the novel was that it didn't make me feel as much as I had hoped it would. I wanted a story that would break my heart and for me this wasn't it. I found it relatable and heart wrenching, I just didn't find it has emotional as I was hoping for. 

Overall this was an enjoyable and well written story. After seeing a preview for the film I am very excited to see it. It appears to be a very well done adaptation. 

2 comments:

  1. I just got this book in the mail. I ordered it after seeing the movie trailer and I definitely want to read it before seeing the movie. Great review!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I like to read books before movies as well. This one looks like a great adaptation and I'm really excited to watch it.

      Delete