Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tuesday Talks | Standalones, Series, Trilogies? & Do you Imitate Characters?

Today is going to be a double post of Tuesday Talks topics. I was preparing for vacation last week and between that and work I was never able to post, so you can have my thoughts today. The group was created by Janie and Janelle and we discuss bookish topics every week, so come and join us.

Standalones, Series, or Trilogies?
For me it really depends on the book and the story that is being told. In general I tend to prefer either a trilogy or a longer series because you can get to know the characters better and build a more complex story in a longer series. At the same time though, I appreciate when an author knows that their story should remain a standalone and doesn't try to force it. I've read some excellent books that are not part of anything bigger and it hasn't ruined my enjoyment. Sometimes you can tell while reading that the story was forced and I don't enjoy that. Stick to the length that best tells your story. 

What do you think? Do you enjoy a standalone novel or a longer series more? 

Imitating Characters
You know, I actually kind of do imitate characters as I'm reading. Particularly ones that I really like. I'll create a voice for them and say things in that voice or imitate things they might have done. It makes the characters seem more real. Like my family and friends, I imitate them sometimes or mimic them, and it always gives us a laugh. I don't know what else to say on this topic really. It's just fun to connect with the story by mimicking or imitating the characters sometimes.

What about you, do you ever imitate characters while you're reading? Or after you've read even. Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment