Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Thousand Pieces of You~Claudia Gray | Review

Title: A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird #1)
Author: Claudia Gray
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Romance
Length: 368 Pages
Publication: November 2014
My Rating: 4/5 Stars












Brief Synopsis
Marguerite Caine's brilliant physicists parents, with the aid of their research assistants Paul and Theo, have developed a new technology known as the Firebird. The Firebird allows an individual to cross between dimensions, into another version of themselves. When Marguerite's father is murdered and all fingers point to Paul-who has escaped into another dimension-Marguerite follows him with only one thing in mind: I must kill Paul Markov.

Review
First of all, I know everyone says this, but seriously, look at that cover. Every time I look at the cover I find it even more interesting than I did the time before. The colors, the contrast between the two cities, just everything. It's beautiful. The title is also very intriguing. 

Now, for the real stuff. If you are expecting a novel where the main focus is a nice blend of science fiction and cross dimensional travel, you will likely be disappointed. If, however, you like love stories that span from one dimension to another with some travel between said dimensions and all the science fiction goodness that go along with it, you will likely enjoy this novel immensely. 

Throughout the novel Marguerite hops between several different dimensions that are all beautifully imagined and well described. I find each dimension and the different connections between the characters throughout these different dimensions very interesting. I am very interested in seeing if we get to explore any more of these worlds in the future installments of this trilogy. 

Marguerite was somewhat annoying in parts of this novel. It is told from a first person perspective, so we get to spend our time in her head. There are many things that I feel in her shoes I would want a few more details before being completely satisfied. Many of these questions don't seem to plague Marguerite. I still found her a rather interesting character, despite her ever changing opinions at the drop of a hat. 

I don't feel like I can really give too much detail into the meat of the story without major spoilers. I do think that Gray has created a very interesting love story. She makes you fall for one guy before you really know the other and then the second one is really the one you're madly in love with. But the first guy is still great, so there is so much drama that could ensue. I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, but this is one that actually kind of works. 

Overall I think this was a very enjoyable and quick read. If you are into love stories with a science fiction setting and cross dimensional travel, then you will likely enjoy this novel. I am eagerly awaiting the second installment in this trilogy. 

Let me know what you thought of this novel or if you plan to read it. 

Your book loving friend,

Courtney     

No comments:

Post a Comment