Thursday, February 8, 2018

The Wrath of Mulgarath~Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi | Review

Title: The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles #5)
Author: Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi
Genre: Children's Fantasy
Length: 136 Pages
Release: 2005

Review
This was the final installment in the Spiderwick Chronicles and overall I was very pleased. Jared faces some of the inner struggles that we have seen in the previous novels and finally faces down some of his demons. The sibling relationship between Jared, Simon, and Mallory continues to be a highlight of the series. 

We get a lot of both Thimbletack and Hogsqueal in this final installment, which I appreciated. These two are a lot of fun and it was nice to have them around more. We also get to see some other familiar faces, some are not so welcome. 

I honestly love the writing in these stories and that makes me want to seek out other stories by these writers to see if they live up to this series. Everything was vivid and well thought out. Sure, it could have gone deeper and become lengthy middlegrade or young adult novels, but I think they are perfect as they are. 

If you haven't tried this series I highly recommend them. Read them with your children, your nieces and nephews, students, or by yourself, it really doesn't matter. They are very enjoyable and I think appeal to a wide range of ages. My sister and I both enjoyed them all very much as adults and I wish that I had had them as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment