Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Magnolia Story~Chip and Joanna Gaines | Review

Title: The Magnolia Story
Author: Chip and Joanna Gaines
Genre: Nonfiction/Memoir
Length: 208 Pages
Release: October 2016

Review
I don't watch a lot of TV, but I have seen Fixer Upper a few times with my family and I always find it interesting. I don't know what drew me to this book, but when I saw that I could get it on audio through my library Overdrive account, I decided to give it a listen. 

This was hilarious. I was laughing out loud within the first twenty minutes. Chip and Joanna have a great story and hearing about their meeting, falling in love, and later being married and what they've done with their family was really inspirational. 

One thing that I love is that they don't take God and their beliefs out of things. They talk about their faith, praying for guidance, and how God has been present in their lives, even when they didn't realize it. That is quite refreshing to me. I also appreciate that they aren't pushy with their beliefs, they let you know what they believe without preaching. Jo said it best there at the end of the book--they want people to follow their dreams. 

Going into this I wasn't expecting to be so inspired. But I was. They made me want to work harder and really try to make the things I love work for me. And I think that with the right amount of effort and time, I can. They have given me a lot of things to think about and ideas to run with. 

The main drawback with this for me was the style it was done in. It worked great for audio, particularly since Chip and Jo narrated it themselves, but I think it would have been awkward to actually read. I haven't tried it, so I can't say if this is definitely the case, but while listening I was always glad that I was listening and not reading. I don't think I would have gotten as much from it in that format.

No comments:

Post a Comment