Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Doorways Home~Jacqueline Dooley | Review

Title: Doorways Home (The Spirit Oak's Gift #2)
Author: Jacqueline Dooley
Genre: YA Fantasy
Length: 304 Pages
Release: September 2014
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

I won a copy of this novel through the goodreads First Reads program.

Review
I don't know why it has taken me so long to pick this book up because I really enjoyed the first one and knew that I would likely enjoy this one. But alas, it took me forever. 

This story follows Grace and Sorel two girls that will fulfill a prophecy in Arkomo (the fantasy world that Sorel is from). Grace has cancer that is eating away her life and that's how she and Sorel first meet--in the hospital. 

The prophecies surrounding the fantasy world of Arkomo are really interesting. There is a darkness that is never explored extremely deeply, but what you do know is horrifying. The ceremony known as The Departure is approaching and only Sorel has guessed what it really is. This novel is her trying to save her land and her brothers. 

One thing that I really like about this book is how honest it is. It doesn't sugar coat the horrors of cancer for an eleven year old. As Grace is trying to help save this other world she's suffering through treatment, unsure if she will live long enough for the transplant she desperately needs. And while some might find this off putting I found it refreshing because it was real

This is definitely a good adventure and really fast reading. There are sick kids and most of the story takes place within a hospital, so if that's not something you can handle reading I would not suggest picking this book up. Otherwise it's a lot of fun and I would recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment