Saturday, July 30, 2016

A Crown of Swords~Robert Jordan | Review

Title: A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time #7)
Author: Robert Jordan
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 880 Pages Paperback
Release: May 1996
My Rating: 3/5 Stars

Review
I don't want to get into too many of the little details about this book, since it's the seventh in a series. This review may contain slight spoilers for the previous novels, but I will try to keep them to a minimum. 

This was a fun installment in the series, but overall was lacking in plot development. There were several important events, but I found the overall novel to be somewhat stagnant. The characters mostly seemed to be going in circles, trying to answer the same questions that they were working on in all 900+ pages of the last novel. 

There was some character development, particularly in Mat who I have never much liked before. I found him more tolerable this time around and found myself agreeing with him on several occasions. There still aren't any answers about the stuff that has happened with him either though.  Perrin was not a large part of this novel, though with how Faile was in the last one I'm not sure I would have enjoyed his portions that much if he had been. 

One thing that I was happy to see were the developments in the Nynaeve/Lan pairing. For some reason I really like these two and I was happy that we finally got somewhere with them. I was also glad that Rand finally admitted his feelings for all the women in his life. Even if it was only to one of them. I was getting somewhat tired of him thinking about how he didn't know how he felt. 

There were some developments as far as the plot with Rand and the Aes Sedai as well as the Aiel, but I would have liked a bit more. Jordan was a master with endings though; this one had me wanting to leap right into book eight. I just hope that more questions will be answered. 

An enjoyable read if you've enjoyed the rest of the series to this point, but nothing particularly special about this installment. Looking forward to getting into the next installment to see what happens next.  

No comments:

Post a Comment