Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Firefight~Brandon Sanderson | Review

Title: Firefight (The Reckoners #2)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Genre: YA/Fantasy/Dystopia
Length: 416 Pages
Publication: January 2015
My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review
"My name is David Charleston. I kill people with superpowers."

This novel picks up shortly after the events of Steelheart with David and his Reckoner friends helping to stabilize NewCago. David is set on hunting down Firefight, but not to kill her. He has other plans for this Epic. 
We don't spend too much time in NewCago this time around. David finds his way to Firefight when Prof takes him along on a mission to stop Regalia-the Epic who rules Babilar (Manhattan).

There are so many things I enjoyed about this novel. The characters are fun, smart, and extremely flawed. I find it fun to be in David's head, laughing at his botched metaphors. He's young, impulsive, and thoughtful. He never stops thinking, considering new possibilities about Epics and their powers. 

One of the things I enjoyed most about this novel was being able to see more into the minds of the Epics. In Steelheart we didn't really get to see what the Epics thought. Here we get more inside information from the minds of the Epics. Hearing about their struggles and their fears is really interesting. The story is set in a world where people gained superpowers and turned into villains. Honestly, that seems like a likely outcome. But it's interesting to find out what these people were like before they were Epics and the struggles they face now that they have these powers. Not all Epics are the same. 

One thing I love about Sanderson is that his stories are always so character driven. I'm not sure how he manages to get me hooked on every single character he introduces, good or bad, but he does. One of my favorites in this novel was Obliteration. I just found his character fascinating. He was only in a few short pieces of the novel, but I was still attached to him. 

There are so many questions raised in this novel and I can't wait to read Calamity when it's released next year. The exploration of the Epics and their weaknesses is one thing that really has me intrigued. And man that ending was insane. I really could barely put the book down for the last hundred pages. There was just so much action, so many questions asked and answered, revelations made, the list goes on. 

So basically what I'm saying is that you should read this book. Right now. Well, actually, read Steelheart first if you haven't already and then read this book. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment