Monday, October 19, 2015

Interview with Donnielle Tyner, Author of The Caelian Cycle

Today I'm bringing you an interview with Donnielle Tyner, author of The Caelian Cycle, a young adult dystopian/science fiction series. I highly recommend them if you enjoy these genres and stories about people with super powers. 

You can can find Donnielle at her website, on twitter, facebook, pinterest, and tumbler.
Lost (Caelian Cycle #1) can be purchased through online retailers. 
You still have a little time to win a digital copy of Bound (Caelian Cycle #2) here

Now onto the interview! 


Describe Lost in five sentences or less.
The Caelian Cycle is a YA SciFi based in an alternative reality about a girl who comes into her Talent (powers) and inadvertently catches the attention of an egomaniac who wants her for his own purpose. Sadie is a strong female character who overcomes her insecurities and learns how to navigate her own grief while learning it’s okay to open her heart to another. She discovers secrets about her past that brings a new danger to light, pushing her to fight not only for her life, but for those she loves.

Have you always been a writer? Who/what first inspired you to write?
I started writing in Junior High as an outlet for all the crazy that was going on in my life at the suggestion of one of my teachers. She gave me a book of poetry and suggested that I keep a journal. I took her advice thinking nothing would help the depression I was in, but I couldn’t have been wrong. At first the entries were just moody poetry, but eventually it evolved as I grew older. Now I work as a freelance writer when I’m not working on my next novel.

What type of research have you had to do for this series?
Google has been my best friend and probably my worst enemy. My husband jokes that I’m most likely on the government terrorist watch list with my searches, which is scary in of itself, but I wanted to make sure that my books were as close to fact as possible. Most of my research was for the second book in The Caelian Cycle, Bound. I read plenty of first-hand accounts and government records involving actual terrorists in order to get certain scenes as accurate as possible.

What is the hardest thing about writing for you?
Time. Always time. I have two small kids at home and as a stay at home mother it is hard to balance the two, but I always try to make sure I can get at least an hour a day to write. If not, I feel on edge.

Are you a plotter or a pantster?
More of a plotter, but there is plenty of flying by the seat of my pants. I do plot out the entire book, but sometimes as I’m writing a character will change the story or I will get an idea on how to make it better or more suspenseful. Usually I don’t stray too much from the original plot, but sometimes I’ve made big detours. It’s never my fault though. Characters seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

Do you have any favorite authors or books you would recommend?
I have plenty of favorites and it’s hard to choose just one, but I really enjoy Claire Farrell’s novels.

How long does it typically take you to write a book?
It really depends on my family life, but I can usually finish a book in two to three months, but it’s the editing that takes up most of the time.

Are any of your characters inspired by actual people?
Yes. John is character based off my brother. I didn’t start it off that way and at first he had a different name, but as the book progressed I noticed how John and my brother were similar, so I ran with it. Mrs. LaMotte was based off the teacher who gave me the book of poetry in junior high. She gives Sadie that tough love I admired in my own teacher.

What do you consider to be your best accomplishment (writing or otherwise)?
My children. They are the light of my life and being able to stay at home with them at watch them grow up has been the greatest gift.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Read. I always have my Kindle with me and every moment I am not doing something for my family, my nose is in a book.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment