Monday, July 1, 2019

The Anne Books

When I was a teen, I watched the Anne of Green Gables series staring Megan Follows and Jonathan Crombie and fell in love with the story. I then read the first five books in the eight book series and enjoyed all of them. For some reason, I stopped at that point and moved onto other stories.

Now, more than a decade later, I've decided to revisit this series and continue to its conclusion. I've been listening to the audiobooks and am currently listening to book four, Anne of Windy Poplars.

I am in love with this series. The writing is excellent, the characters are refreshing, and everything is vivid. I love how Montgomery is able to have time pass quickly and smoothly, without anything seeming rushed. They may lose a little steam in the later half of the series, but I appreciate that the stories follow Anne into adulthood, into her life as a wife and mother, and doesn't just end with her a happy teacher or engaged and in love. More of her life is explored and I think that can be a good thing to have sometimes, because it shows depth to the world and characters and also shows that the end of the story isn't when you've found love or earned a degree or finished a quest. That is only a step on the journey, not the end.

Have you ever revisited an old favorite or gone back to a series you didn't finish? What was it like for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment