Wednesday, July 5, 2017

The Blinding Knife~Brent Weeks | Review

Title: The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer #2)
Author: Brent Weeks
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 671 Pages
Release: September 2012

Review
Unfortunately, I was not very impressed with this second installment in the Lightbringer series. It had a promising beginning, as Gavin was working to fix the things that had gone wrong at the end of book one, but things did not remain so bright for me. 

Kip became somewhat more likable as he was thrust into a new world and no longer had the influence of Liv (who I can't stand) to drag him down. Some of his adventures were interesting and even enjoyable. It was fun finding out more about the Blackguards and their training. 

The story never went beyond some fun moments and a few likable characters, sadly. It all turned into a book about sex. While there wasn't that much sex that happened in the novel, there were a few scenes that were somewhat detailed. And when there wasn't actual sex happening, there was constant talk about having/needing to have/wanting to have sex. And it served no purpose. 

I was also really disappointed with how slavery was approached in this world. Slavery is something that has existed in the real world since the beginning of time, so the inclusion of slavery in itself does not bother me, but the way that the characters view it as a normal way of life, despite the fact that they are supposed to be good (well, mostly) people was very disappointing. Maybe this is looked at more in later installments, I don't know, but here it was a major setback. 

Very few, if any, of the questions I had at the end of book one were answered. Instead of giving answers and building up to new ones, we were just given even more questions. And they left me very frustrated. 

There are many people who enjoy this novel, but I don't think I will be continuing the series from this point. The first book was good, but this one spiraled downward from there. Based on the reviews of my friends, it seems that the series continues in the same vein, so I don't think it's for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment