Friday, June 5, 2015

Chasing the Crown~Can American Pharaoh Win?

Today I decided to write a post about something a little bit different than usual. I'm a huge horse person. I own and ride horses and just love them. When I was a teenager I was obsessed with Thoroughbred horse racing. I still have a lot of knowledge about the sport and since the Belmont Stakes is being run tomorrow, I thought I might as well write a quick post about The Triple Crown.

The Triple Crown is comprised of three races: the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes. Training for these races is brutal and only the best of the best three year old Thoroughbreds have a shot. The races are run within five weeks of each other starting with the Kentucky Derby on the first Saturday of every May and ending with the Belmont Stakes at the beginning of June. If one horse wins all three races, they've won the coveted Triple Crown of American racing.

Ever since the beginning of the Triple Crown nearly one hundred years ago, there have only been eleven Triple Crown winners. And the last of those was Affirmed in 1978. The drought has been long. Many horses have won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness only to go on to a defeat in the Belmont. This year, there's a chance at another Triple Crown Winner.

American Pharaoh won the first two legs of the Triple Crown and tomorrow will race for the third. He's fast and on a roll. But will that be enough? Watch the race tomorrow to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment