Monday, February 1, 2016

The Bands of Mourning~Brandon Sanderson | Review

Title: The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn #6, Wax & Wayne #3)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Genre: High Fantasy/Steampunk/Western
Length: 437 Pages
Release: January 2016
My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Review
If I could give this book more than five stars on any rating site that I use, I definitely would. It was brilliant. Since this is the third in a series (sixth, in some ways), I'm going to try and do my review a little differently. I'm going to focus on specific elements of the story as a whole that I think work really well.

The writing: Anyone who reads my reviews knows how much I love Brandon Sanderson's novels. And it's not just the stories and characters, but his writing in general. It gets better and better with every book. Sanderson is very dedicated to his writing and producing quality content and it really pays off.

Characters: I need a character driven story. A great plot is not even a necessity for me. As long as I connect with the characters and feel for them in some way, I'm going to enjoy the book. This series (including the original trilogy) has been filled with relatable characters that feel so real. Even Steris, who I have never really been able to connect with in the past, became someone that I was rooting for here. There is one section of the book, when she's talking, telling someone how she feels and what it's like to interact with other people, when I was like you're describing everything I feel! It was excellent. And of course Wax, Wayne, and Marasi were just as wonderful as in previous installments. If you want to laugh, just spend some time with Wayne. Even Wax can be funny, although it's more often things he's done that are entertaining.

Relationships: This series has a major focus on friendship and little on romance, which I really appreciate. The bond between Wax and Wayne in this series is amazing. Finding out more about their history as the story has progressed and seeing how they rely on each other is just...I don't even have words to describe it. It just works. And the rest of the friendships being developed are beautiful as well. Marasi with both Wax and Wayne. Steris and the group. The new characters that are introduced. There are just so many beautiful, heartwarming friendships here. And yes, there is a touch of romance. Not going to give any details, but I was happy with the romantic portions of this novel. They were adorable and sweet.

Story: This series is just one nestled within a much larger series (and connected with other series through the Cosmere) and this installment was mind blowing. Again, I don't want to talk too much about specifics because you really need to experience this for yourself. Just know that there are even more connections to the original trilogy and major hints as to what is coming for Scadrial. And I cannot wait!

Overall impressions: This book, and series in general, are kind of slow burners, but once they get going they really get going. There were certainly portions that I guessed correctly about, portions that were shocking, and portions that had me going what in the world did I just read!? So I'd say that overall it was a pretty brilliant installment. The wait for the final book is going to be somewhat painful, but it just gives me time to read the series again, so I can't be too hurt by it. This was definitely my favorite read of January and I think it's going to be hard for another book to top this for the year. Seriously, it was that good.   

No comments:

Post a Comment